Tornado Touchdown

Growing up in Northern Indiana, we were constantly practicing "tornado drills" in school. The alarm would sound, we would open the windows, calmly walk out into the hallway, get down on our knees against the wall, and assume the "safety position" of your head to your knees and hands over your head. A few times it was not practice, a tornado or funnel cloud had been spotted and we had to stay in hallway for what felt like hours. During those times, I secretly hoped that a tornado would hit, destroy the school, and take me away like Dorothy, but it never did.

Although I am not claiming responsibility, a high end EF3 tornado with winds reaching over 160 mph finally did hit my hometown area of Nappanee, destroying over 250 homes, 3 RV manufacturing companies that are the largest employers in town, and several small businesses and restaurants.



My cousin, Larry Thompson, who is the mayor of Nappanee, a normally very easy job, will have his hands full with the clean-up and rebuilding efforts. I just wonder how the town will survive with three of its largest employers being destroyed. That said, knowing the people of that area and that sickening "can do" spirit they possess, I am sure Nappanee will be just fine.

Let me give you two examples of this spirit. Two days after many of the kids in the NorthWood High School band lost their homes, they placed sixth in the state high school marching band competition at the RCA dome in Indianapolis. The football team had to postpone their sectional game because of the tornado damage and then play the next day on a neutral field, coming away with at 37-35 victory on a last minute safety after a fumbled snap. Now that is what I call moving on.