Miss Gay DC America

Bill, Chris & Mike, Tom, Mike and I went to the Miss Gay DC America pageant at Town last Sunday. The host of the evening was Kayne, from Season 3 of Project Runway. I know this may be surprising, but he makes a not very good host. There was so many dead spots during the show that he had to improvise and it was painful. He said, "Moving right along," dozens of times during the night as his one and only transition. That said, he did seem like a nice guy.

There were only three contestants who competed for the title of Miss Gay DC America, which leaves me befuddled why the pageant lasted over 4 hours. It seems that every past Miss Gay DC and any drag queen title holder in the tri-state area got the opportunity to perform, some better than others. When last year's winner, Victoria Parker, was announced, the entire crowd screamed, "porkchop!" Porkchop performed a patriotic tribute to God and America, which made me feel like I was attending the real Miss America pageant.

The first contestant did a Siamese twin Liza Minnelli impersonation. I have now seen it all. If you look at the judges table, second from left you will see the back of the head of Robert Best from Season 3 of Project Runway. The judge completely to the right did the best Reba drag I have ever seen.

Each contestant performed a solo talent number and group talent number. This contestant sang the entire score from "Mary Poppins" complete with dancers, props, and costume changes. It could have been amazing, but it came at hour 3 of the evening, so I lost the ability to pay attention and left shortly after it ended. I have no idea who won, but if you want to get people to come back, you need to shorten the evening.
Category: 0 comments