Rest In Peace, Janwillem van de Wetering

I just got the following news from my publishers: 

Dutch crime writer Janwillem van de Wetering, 77, died on July 4, 2008,
following a struggle with cancer. Best-known for his Amsterdam Cops series,
Soho Press will be reissuing all 14 of van de Wetering's Soho Crime novels
in paperback, beginning this fall.


Janwillem van de Wetering is probably better known to Zen fans as the author of The Empty Mirror, A Glimpse of Nothingness and After Zen,three of the finest accounts of the Zen life I've ever read. Van de Wetering was also an early champion of my work and was helpful in getting Hardcore Zen and Sit Down And Shut Up into print. He was the only well known author to submit a blurb for my first book. We corresponded some when that was going on, but I'd lost touch with him a couple years ago. He told me, though, that reading the galleys of Hardcore Zen got him back into Zen practice after a lay off of several years. His disillusion with Zen is devastatingly well documented in his book After Zen.

I'd always hoped to meet him some day. He lived in Maine, last I heard, and said I could stop by his place anytime I liked and stay as long as I pleased. Too bad I never got the chance. I want to try reading some of his crime novels. He was a terrific writer and highly recommended.

BY THE WAY: There will be a Hill Street Center Parking Lot Sale in the HSC parking lot (where else?) on Saturday July 12th starting at 8:30 AM. You won't be able to park there on Saturday. So be aware.

Anyone who wishes to volunteer to help out or who wants to donate is welcome. I shoulda mentioned this earlier. But donations will be taken all the way till the sale is underway on Sat. morning. I've seen some of the stuff being donated & it is of higher quality & greater interest than your usual yard sale fare.

You're welcome to show up earlier to shop. Just be aware I'm not opening the center doors any earlier than usual (around 9:30). Gotta take my shower and eat my cereal and all that, you know.


ALSO BY THE WAY:
It looks like Tassajara has survived the fire mostly in tact. It finally entered the valley and burned up pretty much everything it could down there. Tassajara lost 3 or 4 smaller and non-crucial buildings around the perimeter (one cabin, the compost shed, one of the bathrooms...). The Zendo, dining hall, kitchen, guest and student cabins and stuff like that survived. Looks like the fire is now out of fuel so it's unlikely any more buildings will burn. The road is still impassable. More info is at Sitting With Fire.
Category: 0 comments