Yaz

I was a latecomer to non-Christian, non-Broadway, non-Lawrence Welk music. The religion I grew up with did not appreciate movies, dancing, or any type of "the devil's music." In fact, the church I attended had a record burning one evening. I stood there dumbfounded as I saw someone throw a Barry Manilow album into the fire.

Because of this, it was not until 1987 as a sophomore in college that I first heard "Upstairs at Eric's." I was at my boyfriend Tony's apartment and I had just gotten stoned for the first time. He really wanted me to hear Yaz while I was high, and told me that it would be an amazing experience. Even though I freaked out a bit (I thought I was having a heart attack) he was right about Yaz being an amazing experience and I have been listening to "Upstairs at Eric's" ever since.

Given that Yaz had broken up by the time I discovered them, I assumed I would never hear them live. Given that, In 1992, I went to see half of Yaz, Alison Moyet, on the tour for her solo album, "Hoodoo" at the 930 Club. I was dating a guy that worked for Sony Records at the time, so we went backstage to meet Alison, who was very sweet, although I could barely understand anything she said because of her accent. I told her that I was listening to her voice the first time I got high, and she said, "Not the first time I have heard that, sweetheart."

When I discovered that Yaz was coming to the 930 Club, it was already sold out. I was thankful when Chris let me know he had an extra ticket for the concert. Chris, Mike, Josh, Kevin, Todd, and I went together and had a great time. The concert was excellent, probably one of the better concerts I have been to in some time. Alison still sounds incredible and I think they played nearly all of their songs from their two albums. Here is hoping they make another album together!
Category: 0 comments