A Perfect Picnic - Indie Ink Challenge

We were perched at the top of the hill; just the two of us.  We spread our old quilted blanket across the freshly cut grass and plopped down with a giggle.  She wasn’t really concerned with what I was doing as I unpacked the sandwiches from the brown wicker picnic basket. Her attention was elsewhere.

She watched the ducks glide gracefully across the pond, her gaze followed them as they went one direction and then another with no particular destination in mind. 

When she tired of that, she lay down flat on her back, her arms crossed behind her head and stared up at the shifting clouds.

“Lay down mama, you don’t want to miss this!” she said excitedly as she pointed out the shapes that she saw in cottony clouds. A heart, a fairy, and then a bear.

With the picnic half unpacked, I set down the bowl of fruit, scooted the plates out of my way, and lay down beside her.

“What do you see now?” I asked her.

She paused for moment, grabbed my hand with hers, and a big smile broke across her face.

“I see happy!” she said.

“That’s funny,” I said, “I see happy too.”

**This was my entry for the Indie Ink Weekly Challenge. I took a little liberty on my challenge prompt from Sherree. She wanted me to:  Describe the best meal I’ve ever eaten. Who was there, where you were, and why it’s the best
I challenged  The Womanist
Category: 0 comments