The Way to Happiness

I stopped by the Scientology booth today that is set up in DuPont Circle during some summer weekends to recruit new members. I wanted to hear the "pitch" but I left more confused about Scientology than when I started. The woman I spoke with kept saying that L. Ron Hubbard was a "true scientist" and he conducted "thousands of experiments to prove his theories." She also repeated that "What Hubbard teaches is not religion, it is scientific fact. You don't have to worry about going to hell if you don't follow the rules, you just won't leave a complete, full, and happy life." Oh, is that all?

After 5 minutes of nonsense coming out of her mouth, I started to walk away and she handed me a small book called, "The Way to Happiness: A Common Sense Guide to Better Living." She called it a "non-religious book based on common sense, not dogma, on how to live a complete and happy life." It is basically the "21 commandments" of Scientology with things like "Be Temperate" and "Don't Be Promiscuous." What fun is that?

Even after reading this book and watching a few documentaries on Scientology, I still didn't get what it is all about. It took South Park to help me understand what they believe and I have to admit, it sounds like L. Ron Hubbard was insane. I can't even comprehend that people believe this crap. It ranks up there with the Angel Moroni, the virgin birth, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. See for yourself by watching the South Park clip below: