True Colors

Looking at the lineup for the True Colors concert, I thought the show would be amazing, but somehow, it fell a bit flat. Don't get me wrong, I had a good time with a bunch of my friends, playing cards and playing with boys, but overall, I think the concert would have been much better if it were just Erasure and Cyndi Lauper.

I do like the other acts that were there, The Gossip, The Dresden Dolls, Rufus Wainwright, and Debbie Harry, but they are better in intimate clubs where you can focus and listen. They don't command the stage and reach out to the masses in the lawn seats of Merriweather Post Pavilion. I was especially disappointed with Debbie Harry, who appeared to have sent a high robot to sing in her place. She sang mostly new songs, and I recognized only one, "French Kissing in the USA." As soon as she was done, she just walked off the stage like she was over it. So were we.

And then there was Rosie. I am agnostic on her. I don't love her. I don't hate her. I just don't want people thinking that she speaks for all gays and lesbians. She did a short comedy set, describing her life on "The View" with a special focus on her fights with Elizabeth and Donald Trump, and life with her kids. It was ok, but the general crowd seemed to love her. Margaret Cho was the host for the show, and I am a fan of hers, but I thought she was a bit off as well. That said, I did laugh hard when she said she wished Jerry Falwell would be reincarnated as a submissive PNP power bottom.

On the whole, the entire evening belonged to these two, Cyndi Lauper and Andy Bell of Erasure. They both sounded great and they rocked the house. Cyndi is amazingly talented and at 54, her voice is better than ever. She sang all of my favorite songs, including "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough," which I never thought she would sing again. That, for me, was the highlight of the night.

Overall, I am sure glad the Mike brought cards. If there is a next time, I might just show up for the last couple of hours, because that's when this concert started taking off. As soon as Cyndi came out in this hat and sang, "Hole in My Heart (All the Way to China)" I was hooked.