The Longest Drive

The drive from Mitchell to Rapid City was long and packed with billboards for the most ridiculous attractions, but quite beautiful. I started in the rolling hills and plains, then the canyons of the Badlands, and finally the spikey, pine-filled mountains of the Black Hills. The sky was incredibly blue with large, fluffy white clouds that were striking and hypnotic. It reminded me of the sky in Brokeback Mountain that I thought was created with CGI technology, but now I see it actually exists.

I was suckered into stopping at "Wall Drug and Cafe" because they had hundreds of billboards along the way, with "as reported in the New York Times" and "as featured on Good Morning America." I thought it would be something exciting, but it was just a large drug store and cafe with tons of crappy souvenirs and other crappy crap.

One of the billboards for Wall Drug said, "Come see the amazing 6ft Jackrabbit." I should have known.


The only item that caught my eye was this t-shirt. I thought it was funny because it is true.
Category: 0 comments