NYC--Xanadu

I flew from Savannah to New York City for another business meeting. When I got into my cab at LaGuardia, I was surprised to see that the taxi cabs now have television monitors in the back. New York cabs have television, and DC cabs still don't even have meters yet.

After my meeting ended, I went to Sardi's for lunch to check out the hundreds of celebrity portraits. I have always wanted to eat at Sardi's, but after doing so, I would not recommend it. Of course, maybe my experience was tainted because it was a Wednesday, and it was packed with old people going to the matinee.

After lunch at Sardi's, I walked next door to the Helen Hayes Theater to see Xanadu. I have wanted to see the show since it opened, so when I got a third row center seat, I was excited. When I sat down, there were three gay boys to my left and an empty seat to my right. Right before the show started, "The Unabomber" (and I am not exaggerating) sat down in the remaining seat. He was talking to himself, rubbing his head, yawning, and grunting during the entire show. But even with him as a major distraction, I have to say, Xanadu is one of the best shows I have seen on Broadway in years. Click here to read my friend Kenneth's recent blog entry about Boy's Night at Xanadu.

There is so much to love about this show, Cheyenne Jackson who is hot in his tight, short jean shorts and tank top, Kerry Butler who does the best worst Australian accent I have ever heard, and the supporting cast who ham it up big time. But it is Jackie Hoffman and Mary Testa, pictured above, who steal the show. They made me laugh so hard that I was crying and nearly falling out of my seat. One of these women will win a Tony, I just wish that they could both win one.

The first time I remember seeing Jackie Hoffman was in the funeral scene in the movie, "Garden State," where she sings at the graveside. Check her out in the clip above and try not to laugh.

During one point of Xanadu, Jackie walks over to this guy who is sitting on stage with 30 other audience members, and says, "Sir, you just don't see a gentlemen wear a fedora to the theater anymore. You are either quite fashionable, or an asshole." He turned all red, and tried to laugh it off, but you could tell it got to him. If you check out his shoe choice, I don't think we could call him fashionable, so asshole seems about right.

This woman sat directly in front of me and I recognized her, but can not remember her name. She came in right before the curtain went up, and she told the gentleman sitting next to her that she was there to see, "umm...ohhhh...my goodness I forgot his name." "Tony Roberts?" the gentleman asked. "Yes, of my goodness yes, Tony Roberts. Please don't tell him I forgot his name." Does anyone know who she is?

One of the reasons that I was excited to have a seat right next to the stage, was to get a close up view of my obsession, Cheyenne Jackson. I was so close to him that his eyes literally sparkled when he sang. I might have to see the show again because I feel I missed a lot by focusing so much of my attention on his legs.

Having seen dozens of shows on Broadway, I have never waited at the stage door to see a cast member before today. I waited for Cheyenne to come out so I could take his picture and say hello. He was incredibly sweet and gracious and I will never wash my hand again.
Category: 0 comments