Mount Rushmore

I have always wanted to visit Mount Rushmore, so when I had to come to South Dakota for a business meeting, I decided to drive some 300 miles across the state to see it. Because of the recent snow, there were only a handful of people visiting the National Park.

I learned that Jefferson was originally suppose to be on the other left side of Washington, but that after they started to sculpt him, they realized they did not have enough rock to make it work. So they altered the plans and blasted the incomplete Jefferson away.

I also learned that Mount Rushmore is named after New York City Attorney Charles E. Rushmore, who was sent out to this area in 1884 to check legal titles on properties. Rushmore asked a local man the name of this mountain. The man replied, "Never had a name but from now on we'll call it Rushmore."

The thing that I was most fascinated with was the fact that the sculpter was adament about housing a hall of records in a vault carved into the mountain behind the presidents. He wanted future generations that come upon this spot to have context as to who these men were and what other people and events were critical to our history. I wanted to see this time capsule, but was told it was not part of the tour.
Category: 0 comments