Savannah Smiles

I had a meeting in Savannah, Georgia this week and decided to fly in the night before, as it was my first time to visit. I had heard from several of my friends how quaint and charming Savannah is, and although I did not read the book, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" or make it through the movie (what was Clint Eastwood thinking?), I knew I would like it.

To me, it looks and feels like a Disneyfied version of New Orleans. But what really sets it apart are the all of the gardens and parks throughout the city. It was so peaceful and relaxing to just sit and unwind in the dozens of beautiful public squares.

Several of the squares had fountains that had green water for Saint Patrick's Day, which apparently is a huge deal in Savannah. The reason I know this is because I asked a woman in the park why the fountains all had green water, and she looked at me like I was from outer space and said, "Honey child, Saint Patrick's Day is a huge deal in Savannah."

Everywhere I turned in Savannah I kept running into "the ladies who lunch," and I kept repeating the line from that song in Company, "Does anyone still wear a hat? I'll drink to that."

Like in any Southern city, there was a stark contrast between the ladies who lunch, and the ladies who beg for lunch. Savannah was no different, except they used humor and a saucy attitude when asking for money, which was remarkably charming and effective.

As I was walking around the city, I saw a bunch of people, excitedly running in and out of a store. I thought it must be something pretty interesting. Turns out it was Paula Dean's store next to her restaurant, "The Lady & Sons." I had no idea she was so popular, or that her sons were so cute.

The one thing I do remember about the movie, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," was the Lady Chablis. My hotel was right next to the club where she performs, but unfortunately, she only performs on the weekends. As a result, this picture was as close as I got to seeing her. Maybe next time.
Category: 0 comments