Morning in Midland

I am doing another consulting project at the Advisory Board until the end of March, supporting the launch of a couple of new research initiatives and traveling around to hospitals across the US. My most recent trip was to Midland, Texas. I sat next to this guy, who was certifiably crazy. When I first sat down, I thought he was drunk or on heroin. He was sitting in the middle seat with both arm rests pushed up and his legs spread open into my seat. When I put the arm rest down, he did not move his leg, so I said, "I am this seat here." He slowly turned his head and had trouble focusing in on me, and said nothing nor did he move his leg. "Sir, are you ok? Do you need help?" Still nothing. "OK, sir, we are going to have some real problems if you don't move your legs and stay in your seat because I paid for this one." At this point, he mumbled, "You are not very nice, are you?" I said, "Not to people who won't get out of my seat, now move." He moved very little and kept pushing his leg against mine, so I was annoyed the entire flight. He stayed in this position, staring at the seat belt sign and sometimes smiling, for the entire flight. I wonder how people like this make it in the world.

It was late evening when I finally landed in Midland, so it was dark when I drove to the "downtown" Hilton and checked into my room. When I woke up the next morning and opened the curtains, I was directly across from "the" tall building in Midland. It was a beautiful morning and with the flat land and clear skies, I could see for miles.

But what struck me the most was that there was no traffic downtown during rush hour. In fact, I barely saw anyone driving or walking around Midland. It was so still and quiet. The silence still haunts me.
Category: 0 comments