Peking Duck

Ralph and I have been talking about eating Peking Duck since we landed in Beijing, which I just learned used to be called Peking, which explains why the airport code is PEK. Anyway, while walking around Qianmen Hutong we saw this sign for roast duck and decided to check it out.

Like any restaurant in the Hutong, it is family run because it is located in the courtyard of their home. We walked in and there were photographs on the wall of famous people that have eaten there, diplomats, world leaders, and Al Gore. That gave me some comfort that I would not die.

We were the only ones there, so they gave us the "best table" right next to a cabinet of ducks on iron hooks. I found it slightly disturbing when I first sat down as you can see by the look on my face, but after awhile I forgot they were there, except for the smell.

We were told that Peking Duck used to be an imperial food, only served in the royal palaces until the Qung dynasty fell in 1911 and former palace chefs opened restaurants around Beijing. To prepare the duck is a lengthy process. First the ducks are inflated by blowing air between the skin and body. The skin is pricked and boiling water poured all over the duck. Sometimes the skin is rubbed with malt sugar to give it an amber color and then hung up to air dry before being roasted in the oven.

When roasted, the the flesh becomes crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The bird is meticulously cut into 120 slices and served with fermented bean paste, light pancakes, sliced cucumbers, and green onions. It was absolutely delicious, although I felt somewhat uncomfortable eating the duck right in front of all of his friends.