But is it Art, Sweetie?

After touring the Botanic Garden, Corey and I walked to the National Gallery of Art to check out the newest exhibits. We spent all of our time in the I.M Pei-designed East Building, which houses the contemporary collection.

When you walk into the East Building, you are greeted by a large Alexander Calder mobile. It seems that no contemporary collection is complete without a Calder, having seen them at the MOMA, Louisiana, and Tate Modern.

The Renoir pictured above is part of the "small works by the masters exhibit," which highlights smaller-sized paintings. I have always been a fan of Renoir, because to me this is art.

This piece, however, to me is not art. Someone basically took a picture of the Mona Lisa, gave her a mustache and goatee, and wrote something unintelligible around the margins. I am not sure what to think about this, and I guess that might be the point.
Category: 0 comments