I Took Your Mom to the Hospital

My parents don't call (too expensive), unless something bad happens, like when someone dies or goes to the hospital. So whenever my cell phone displays my parents number calling me, I always tense up and fear the worst. Yesterday, my dad called to tell me that he took my mom to the hospital. Apparently, she has had massive back pain for about a week and my dad has been trying to take care of her, but it became too much for him and they called the ambulance.

My parents are getting to that age where everything starts to fall apart. My father is in his early 80s, my mom in her early 70s, and they are on tons of medications for everything under the sun, and something is always bleeding or dripping or breaking. In fact, they get some of their pills from Canada because they are cheaper, which I never would have expected my parents to do.

Anyway, my mom just had a partial knee replacement a couple of weeks ago, so I feared that she was probably limping around and did something to her back. I called my brother to see what he knew, and he was at an open house for my nephew's high school. He was sitting in class when I called, and he got called out by the teacher and he had to get off the phone pretty quickly.

He called back later and told me that I got him in trouble with the teacher, which I found quite funny. He had just spoken with dad and discovered that mom had fractured her back. She will be in the hospital for a few days then will be moved to a nursing home to recover. My mother will be milking this for all it is worth, just like I would be doing. The apple really doesn't fall too far from the tree.