Time Capsule: 1991-2001

My friend Mike Mings recently scanned some of his photographs from our early days in DC. Looking at these pictures brought back a lot of great memories of several fun and amazing (and some annoying) people that have been a part of my life.

My first trip to Philadelphia in 1991 with Jack, Oscar, me, and Mike. We had just finished eating at the Melrose Diner across the street and were on our way back to DC. It was after this weekend that I knew Mike would be a friend for life.

My first summer beach house at 224 New Castle in Rehoboth. We were nicknamed, "The Chicken Coop" because we were some of the youngest guys staying in Rehoboth that summer of 1993. The guy that organized the house made a request one night that we sit down when we pee because he was tired of cleaning up after us. "My mother always made me do it when I was a kid and I still do it and I think we should all make the effort." After his speech, I made a special effort to splash as much urine on the floor as possible.

The gayest pyramid ever at the 1993 March on Washington with four of the funniest gay men I have ever met. Notice my excellent form doing the splits.

Me, Mike, and in a photo booth in 1994. I have no idea where we are or what we were doing, but, damn we look good!!!

Virginia's Gold Cup horse race in 1994. The first and last time I attended, as it is mostly very wealthy, extremely pretentious people (Republicans) dressing up and drinking themselves silly. It rained all day and I did not see a single horse from our vantage point.

A production on the beach in Rehoboth 1994. Nearly every weekend, Mike and I could be found building a sand castle, because neither of us grew up near a beach as kids. Pictured here is Bob, Dave (who I was dating at the time), me, and Mike.

New Years 1996 at Andy's house. Richard, Bill, Dave, Chris, Ralph, Mike, and me. As you can see, plaid was way in back then.

Chris, Daren, Ralph and me, eating at an Irish Pub in Lewes, Delaware. Ralph had taken us on his boat into the ocean and we were on our way back to the beach house. Chris and Daren were dating at the time this picture was taken in 1997.

Me holding up the leaning tower of Pisa in 1998. Mike and I toured Italy, starting in Milan, then Venice, Florence, Bologna, and ending in Rome. This trip was a lot of fun and one of the best I have ever taken.

Chris and me in the Hard Rock Hotel pool, shortly after September 11, 2001. We were there with Mike, Ralph, and Dave and had just seen the Grand Canyon and celebrated Mike's parents anniversary. Originally, we planned to stay in Las Vegas for a couple of days, but since no flights were allowed after 9/11, we were stranded for several days. Nearly six years later, Chris looks exactly the same, damn him!
Category: 0 comments