Larry Craig's Poofter Bear

I smell a conspiracy. First, David Phillips, pictured above told Wonkette in an exclusive interview that he had oral and anal sex with Senator Larry Craig 20 years ago in Craig's Capitol Hill home. I still am unsure if I believe the story, it just doesn't ring true to me, but read the story for yourself and make up your own mind. The money quote:
“It was a clumsy and unremarkable fuck, except that I wasn’t clean and he was frantic about not getting my shit on anything. Still, he blew his load, ripped the dirty condom off and ordered me to get dressed without wiping myself. He hurried me to the back door, again ranting, ‘You were never here. You don’t know me. Right?’”
Gross!

Now, I come to find out from an article in the Washington Post, that Mr. Phillips has been told by the state of Virginia that he must return his vanity license plate, "Poofter," that he has had for over 11 years. According to the Post, Phillips received a letter that stated:
"You may have grown fond of your personalized plates," but they are "socially, racially or ethnically offensive or disparaging" and "you must return them."
Now the conspiracy part, could it be that the "citizen complaint" that led to this brouhaha was someone getting back at Phillips for telling the Craig story. Virginia is pretty Republican and vindictive, and the DMV spokeswoman's comments in the Post make me think that is the case.
In Phillips's case, it must have been a citizen complaint that triggered the review because the state doesn't just randomly go back and reconsider plates that have been on the road for years. "We definitely rely on residents to report any inappropriate message," says DMV spokesman Melanie Stokes, who, citing privacy rules, won't comment on how Phillips's tags came in for reinspection.
I guess it could all be one big coincidence, but something tells me that they are connected.