Folsom St. Fair 2009

Copyright Shilo McCabe 2009
Copyright Shilo McCabe 2009
Copyright Shilo McCabe 2009
Copyright Shilo McCabe 2009
Copyright Shilo McCabe 2009

This was the first year in a long time that I've gone and photographed the fair just for myself.  For 2 years I photographed the women's area and also staffed my own art booth during the inaugural year of the Artist's Area.  Speaking of the Artist's Area, this year's was lackluster.  The space only appeared partially full and the only enticement to head down that artery was to look for a hiding spot for a quickie.  It was actually the one and only place that I saw someone getting some on with someone - as opposed to the self-play that was on display everywhere.  This year's more rigid policy on lewd behavior created a noticeable lack of cocksucking public sex - at least from what I saw.

The Folsom St. Fair is all about seeing and being seen, exhibitionism and voyeurism.  People dressed up and posing for would-be paparazzi.  Celebrities for a day. There is such a wide variety of people putting themselves on display.  I even saw some "sweet old lady" who looked like my kindergarten teacher done up in a bustier leading a tall middle-aged man in PVC on a leash.  She carried a handbag, had a cloche style hat and cute little reading glasses.  And I couldn't help but think "well good for you!"  It's always good to see elder people out and about having a good time. I also saw one young woman on the BART heading toward the fair who was done up in stockings, garters and a bustier, topped off with a tiara. She looked terrified and self-conscious.  I wanted to wrap a coat around her and give her a hug.  But then again, good for her, too!  Maybe she's battling the demons of anxiety, and if so, then she was winning.  She stepped off the BART and walked directly toward the freakfest. I didn't see her again, but I hope she had a wonderful time.