Dinner at Amish Acres

After seeing my home in Wakarusa and meeting my parents, we all took Ken and Shirl to Amish Acres for dinner. Amish Acres is a historical Amish farm that has been transformed into a tourist attraction with a restaurant, theater and shops. It is located in Nappanee, Indiana about 10 miles from my home and I worked there a couple of summers as a tour guide named Zeb and as Miss Piggy (don't ask) during the Arts and Crafts Fair.

Ralph, Tom, and Marcia immediately made a beeline for the rockers on the porch of the Old Barn Restaurant where we were having dinner.

Amish Acres' Thresher's Dinner is served family style and the menu consisted of the following goodness:

* Ham & bean soup
* Freshly baked hearth bread
* Fresh yellow butter
* Apple butter
* Seasonal relish
* Sweet & sour cabbage salad
* Green beans with smoked side meat
* Beef & noodles
* Mashed potatoes
* Bread dressing & giblet gravy
* Broasted country chicken and
* Tender roast beef
* Tins of fresh fruit pies
* Shoofly pie
* Vanilla date nut pudding

I had not eaten at Amish Acres since my Prom my junior year of high school and I forgot how good the food is there. Of course, everything is high fat, high calorie with lots of real butter and lard, with most things fried. That is why it tastes so good.

Mike thought the food was so good, that he immediately converted to the Amish lifestyle so he can eat meals like that everyday.
Category: 0 comments